Becoming a live-in member of the Exeter Twp. Vol. Fire Department is financially advantageous for students pursuing a postsecondary education. The station is a short commute to Reading Area Community College, Penn State University (Berks / Lehigh Campus), Alvernia College, Albright College, and Kutztown University. With current student housing expenses on the rise, the live-in program offered by the Exeter Twp. Vol. Fire Department provides a financial savings for the student, while enhancing the staffing levels and service provided to the community.
In exchange for free living accommodations, the live-in member will be required to perform station duties, attend training / meetings, and respond to emergency calls. Attendance and dedication to education are a priority and will be taken into consideration if they conflict with station duties.
The Exeter Twp. Vol. Fire Department (West Station) facility provides its members with:
- Internet Access (Cable internet and Mozzila Firefox)
- College Computer Software (MS Word, Excel, and more)
- Quiet Study Facilities
- Kitchen Facilities (Microwave, Stove, Refrig., and more)
- On-site Restaurant
- Air Conditioned Sleeping Quarters
- Washer and Dryer
- Newly renovated bathroom facility
There are currently two openings for live-in members. The openings will be filled on an application and interview basis. Firefighters with previous training and experience will be given first consideration for the program; however, we will accept interested individuals with no previous training or experience into the program.
Requirements to become a live-in member with the Exeter Twp. Vol. Fire Department:
- Must show proof of Health and Car Insurance
- Must comply with company policies and procedures
A live-in firefighter will be issued (based on approval from the Chief):
- NFPA compliant turnout gear
- NFPA compliant helmet
- Nomex hood
- Pair of gloves
- Fire company t-shirt
- Survivor flashlight
- Company sanctioned and State Certified Training
- Motorola Minitor V Pager